150ml dry cider
280g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
225g unrefined caster sugar
180g unsalted Butter
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Method 1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3. Grease a round silicon cake tin and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper.
2. Soak the sultanas in the cider for about 20 minutes.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl.
4. Cream the sugar and butter for about 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating as you go.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients, the lemon zest and the sliced apples.
6. Stir in the soaked sultanas, along with any remaining cider.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Cool in the tin, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.